I thought it would be fun to list some things that Aaron and I do together that really helps keep our love feeling young and healthy. We're not perfect, but we're passionate about each other and our relationship.
We are constantly improving the way we interact with each other, which I think is very important in a making any relationship feel stimulating rather than stagnant.
So here are my suggestions on keeping your relationship alive and healthy!
Ways To Keep Your Love Alive - Relationship Advice
* Write each other letters - Long ones, small ones, cute ones, just show each other that you care enough to write something to your partner that's not a text message. Leave it somewhere they will find it easily, or maybe even hide it for your partner to find later. Surprises are always a great way to add playfulness into the relationship.
* Go on regular date nights - It is important to have time together at least once a week that is dedicated strictly to enjoying one anothers' company. I know it can be hard with work and children, but if you figure out one night per week, it will be do wonders to build a friendship with your partner. Not to mention, it will show a tremendous amount of commitment to each other.
* Play games together - If your partner likes video games, play one with him! It relieves stress and creates a sense of fun-lovingness that your relationship might otherwise lack in. Board games, card games, any game really, just be open minded and use this time to remember that your partner is your friend as well as your lover.
* Try to go to bed at the same time - Going to bed at the same time allows time for you to snuggle up together, have small talk, and maybe even some intimate moments. A kiss goodnight is a great way to tell your partner to sleep well!
* The little stuff counts - Do something small and considerate for each other whenever possible. He's washing the dishes? Why not dry them for him? She's working on a project? Ask if she wants a snack or bring her a glass of water.
* Share your interests with each other - Talk to each other about new interests or hobbies! You enjoy drinking soy now instead of milk? You watched a new show that you're obsessed with? Share your thoughts with each other, remember that they might not be as interested in it as you, which is fine. The point is to simply share.
* Accept flaws - Accept your partner for who they are, flaws certainly included. You have to anticipate that your partner may never get over/stop/leave something that you dislike. Love them anyways.
* Listen to music together - Music is proven to alter emotions. It is healthy for the mind, body, and soul. Why not experience that with each other? Take turns showing each other songs you love.
* Go on a scavenger hunt together - Look one up near you that you can print out, or make one up! Scavengers hunts are perfect for children if you want to have a family day! Geocaching is also a great way to spend the day looking for treasures together!
* Get each other little gifts - This can be as simple as buying flowers or baking homemade cupcakes, it's really the gesture that matters. It says, "Hey, I was thinking about you. I wanted to give you this to make you smile."
* Compliment each other - Did you notice he put on your favorite tie for work? Tell him! Does her hair look flawless this morning, even though she just woke up? Let her know, she'll feel absolutely smitten with you for it.
* Travel together - Take a short road trip or go somewhere exotic! The act of planning a trip can bring the two of you closer, just by talking about what you want to do together. Maybe you don't have the money to go, yet, but one day perhaps! It's really the thought that counts!
* Take pictures - Take pictures of things you do together and take pictures of each other, it's a fun activity and it will give you something to reminisce about later in life!
* Be affectionate - Hug your partner, kiss them, share your sweet thoughts about them. This can only reassure your partner of the love you have for them. No matter how long you and your partner have been together, reassurance can only create a stronger bond in your love for one another.
* Be supportive - Help each other achieve your goals. Meet each other half way, life is not easy. You two are partners in crime, don't leave them hanging!
* Run errands together - Make the not so fun stuff, fun! By going together, it might take the weight off of some of the more stressful items on your list!
* Meet your partner at the door - If you're home before your partner gets home from work, greet them at the door! It's a bit old fashioned, but what better way to welcome your partner than with a hug and kiss as they walk in?
* Have some "me time" - Relationships are hard work, so much so that something we tend to forget about ourselves and our individual needs. Take time to focus on you. Reconnect with your goals and personal wants in life. Do something for just for you!
* Recognize each others efforts - Sometimes we get so caught up in what we do for the relationship that we forget that our partner is doing their best, too. Just remember to take a step back every now and again to appreciate one another.
* Don’t nag at each other - It's important to remind our partners of the things they need to get done, but don't overwhelm them. Try to be patient if something isn't happening at the pace you'd like it to. Remember that sometimes we get stressed, too.
* Be clear about your concerns - Don't beat around the bush, let your partner know exactly whats bothering you. Talk calmly, lay it out as clear and as concise as you can so that your partner has all the information needed to help you find the right solution.
* Take a "time out" when things get heated - Most arguments get blown out of proportion because out emotions get heightened during more heated discussions. If you're able to recognize that happening, take a time out! It will help you and your partner evaluate your individual thoughts rather than spitting them out at each other. By taking a moment you might just eliminate the possibility of a "fight" all together.
* Clean - Cleaning is cleansing. If you're stressed, if you're angry, if you feel depressed - clean. Organize that book shelf you've been putting off. Mop the kitchen floor. Hand wash the dishes! It's theraputic. Cleaning allows for us to have a moment with our thoughts and feelings without devoting our entire self to them. This is a great if you need a moment away from an argument with your partner. Take it as a "cool down" method.
* Exercise - Exercise together or exercise alone, either way it can only help improve your health as well as your mental state! When you feel good about yourself, you radiate it. Your partner will feed off of your energy and love the positivity that you're creating.
* Forgive each other - Remember that you're both only human; emotions are unavoidable.
* Don't hold grudges - Holding a grudge can only cause strife and resentment. Mistakes happen, try to not be spiteful.
* Fight - If you fight, fight only for your relationship. Fight to improve the quality of your love. Fight to show your partner that you love them and that the relationship matters to you. Anything else just isn't worth the time.
Obviously I'm not an expert on love, but I do think that every relationship holds its own unique challenges as well as it's own successes. For me & my fiance, this list works. We're still adding onto the things we need to improve upon, so of course the list will grow!
xox a modern dame
What are some things you and your partner do to keep the love strong?